Travel Blog Friday August 6th 2022


Photo credit: Scott Cain "Red rusty land for water"

Friday:

Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Awake at 5:45am

As usual, I am up and about before any of the other people in the rental house. Also, I might have been the first one to bed. Craig always sets up the coffee pot the night before, and each morning I turn it on. It’s nice to be up and in the quiet, with fresh coffee. I do cherish these moments quiet and alone. But this morning is not a quiet one. Most of the family is soon up and about with in an hour. We are to be at the boat house for the rafting trip before 7am. So there is much commotion in the kitchen. Avery is one of the first ones up, and it does not take us long to realize that he really wants to go rafting with us. It is agreed that we will find a way to add him to the group. We make him an extra lunch, because all the lunches were pre-ordered weeks ago. 

By seven am and we are all at the boat house (Bucking Rainbows). Our crew all pile into one of the big white vans and we are on our way with our big pile of large inflatable rafts towing in the back. We drive for an hour south west of Steamboat Springs. Within that hour the landscape becomes significantly different. Arid with shrubs and sage brush, are bountiful. Gone are the aspens and pines. The landscape is rocky with much of the rock having a reddish color to them. At our destination we put in at Rancho Del Rio (4199 Trough Rd, Bond, CO 80423) on the Colorado River. The water is cold and brown. 

Alex and I take the ducky, witch is an inflatable kayak for the first half of the float. It’s fun, and a bit wet in the rapids. The remainder of the group (Mom, Karen, Nichole, Rebecca, Maisie, Brook, Mark, and Avery) all ride in the large inflatable raft. The scenery is amazing, with high maintains flanking the entire ride. At one point we are passed by a sightseeing train on the river bank. Our guide makes him self busy with mooning the train. He tells us it is custom to do so. At the two thirds point, we stop for lunch. I get Pamela’s veggie sandwich and Maisie and Rebecca took control over the Ducky. Alex and my self hopped into the big raft with the rest of the group. Our float ends at Two Bridges Boat Ramp (18231 CO-131, Bond, CO 80423). Tired from many hours in the sun, we all pile back into the white van and head back to Steamboat. 

The van ride home is long and quiet, with the air conditioning on way too high. Unlike the ride in, where everyone is giddy with chatty anticipation. Our ride home is cold and quiet. Back at the rental house mom, myself and Mark take a most delightful soak in the hot tub. After the soak, Pamela returned from her shopping with news that she is letting Maisie get her nose pierced. It’s all new news to me. The tension between her, and Maisie, and myself is on full display for the family. It’s not such fun moment. 

After a leftover dinner (there is lots of leftovers here), The group goes to the local rodeo. I had wanted to go, but Pamela felt morally apposed to it and had planned to stay behind. I decided with so much friction between us, that I would forgo being with family, and also stay behind to see if I could communicate with her. Unfortunately we spoke very little, and I found myself in bed long before any of the family returned from the outing.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maisie drives 2024 spring break trip

The brap I had been looking for

In the dreams of kissers who never kiss, I dreamt of a kiss that never happened