A true story for Eric


Photo credit: Scott Cain

During the summer months I park my 25ft Hybrid RV on our driveway. It’s there as temporary guest quarters for when family and friends visit.

Occasionally when guests are not around, I too take the opportunity to sleep in the trailer. Partly out of a want for a change in scenery but mostly because I have found that the trailer’s pop out tent bunks are similar to the sleeping porch I have always dreamed of.

On one fine July evening 2019, my son Colin and I decided to make use of the empty space and sleep in the trailer. It was simply a little too hot and stuffy inside the house and the cool night air was ever so much more delightful. Colin slept in the bunk at the east end towards the bay and I slept in the bunk at the west end towards the woods. It was by all account, a lovely evening to sleep nearly out side in the woods next to the big lake.

At breakfast the next morning I was telling my two children (Colin seated across from me), that I was surprised I had not got up to pee in the middle of the night. How odd I said, I always get up to go pee at least once in the night. And also I mused how dreadfully dark and turbulent my dreams had been.

All of this was idel chit chat, until Colin opened his mouth and made remarks. His comments came as I had finished my thoughts on some rather turbulent dreaming. Colin, piped up and remarked that he too had experienced some particularly alarming dreams that night. I asked what do you mean by scary?

His reply in detail made hair on the back of my neck stand up. Because the tale of events in Colin’s dream world sounded so eerily similar to the abduction descriptions written by certain  Mr. Whitley Strieber. Here I was sitting with my son, some thirty years after becoming familiar the book Communion, and I am reliving it, in real life. Seriously, I am rubbing the back of my neck looking for a sore and pinching my sphincter wondering If we had been abducted. I kept my prejudice to my self. As far as I know Colin has no knowledge of the writings of Mr Strieber. Besides that It was time to get going.

We had a 8:30 am appointment with Shady Trails Camp, and I with a business client at 9am. Later that day as I slogged through a painting project I was mentally attempting to reconcile this conversation. And it was then that the thought occurred to me, why should I care. I mean it was super interesting, this chitter chat we had about the strange people making their creepy examination. But beyond that, it was sunny, it was summer, we were both happy and healthy. No sign of physical harm. No ones social integrity had been challenged, and no one had been defrauded of our days earnings. And the worst we looked forward to was a barbecue on our beach that evening.

So, I don’t know. Maybe it was just a case of instinctual legacy? I mean could these memories be so primordial that they are rooted in all of us. Is it possible that they had happened to one of us long ago and now we all carry them as a genetic memory.

Again I don’t know, and there you have it. In my mind, this is such a funny life. I have had all these years, after reading communion time to consider weather something did or did not happen. Yet it is all met with happy apathy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maisie drives 2024 spring break trip

The brap I had been looking for

In the dreams of kissers who never kiss, I dreamt of a kiss that never happened