Snuggled in bed, unfold in my head

 

Sketch credit: Scott Cain

Time spent asleep, as real in this moment as in any un-lived fantasy.  Where I was my self felt vague, but it seems I was walking a narrow path that ran through a meadow. My companions a small group of friends and a brown rabbit. Although none could provide a familiar face. We were Nevertheless a cheerful group.  All to happy to frolic in the warmth of a springlike morning.  We were bathed in a delightful sunny sunshine, and with us was our favorite fluffy bunny. As for him. He was about the size of an average dog and he walked on his hind legs. On the other hand, he was a normal brown bunny. But he did not speak, he was simply a quiet companion. Like I said, I did not recognize anyone in the group from my awake world. However, one person in the group was a witch. I was not attempting to label her, but she wore the cliché attire. Wide brimmed pointy black hat, black petticoat, striped leggings, etc. She was a confident young woman, although a bit bossy. As we all walked I fell behind. I was busy contemplating who this witch friend was. Unlike being awake I was unable to both walk and think in my dream land. Then suddenly I overheard the witch ordering everyone to brush our teeth with the saliva of the rabbit. This was disturbing. She went on to tell us the bunny had just eaten some mint leaves. Her explanation concluded that the fresh mint leaves made his spit good for you. I did not want to obey the witches repugnant command. Why would anyone want to use thumper drool to clean their mouth? Oh; but then wouldn’t you know it, she went and sang some singsong magical spell and POOF! 


And there he was, Peter Cottontail no longer on the bunny trail. He was now high above us in a dark storm cloud. Our sunny spring moment gone in a wif. It had been transformed into a terrifying storm. More alarming yet, Our fluffy friend now had an oversized head and was backlit in neon blue. There he was high In the sky, his giant bunny head surrounded by black storm clouds. It was definitely an unearthly vision to be sure. His adorable soft furry mouth opened wide. Out poured a shower of icy shards. A sleet of Minty bunny spit for us to brush with. I was mortified and now resolute to be insubordinate to this witch. Unfortunately all I could do is put my hand over my face and pray no bunny drool dripped into my mouth. 


Then everything went dark and the next thing I knew I had left the meadow. My person stolen away by a trick of the witch. It was there I found myself seated at a roll top desk in a quiet hallway of an old Victorian home. The witches home. Oh yay. I was there to do bookkeeping. And I was immediately disappointed that I was not there to catch-up on my own bookkeeping. No, as you might guess I was there to create pivot tables for the witch. Despite this new situation, I discovered I was enjoying the work, and above all, I did not have to brush my teeth with any bunny slobber. My reports were meticulous. I wondered if the witch would notice my eye for detail. Unfortunately she appeared too busy frightening her guests. I got up from the desk and walked to the door of the parlor to better see her. She was a pro. From my vantage point in the hall I watched as she jump scared the pants of each one. She was such a silly witch, both delightful and amusing to behold. And I thought to myself how I would love to join in on her fun little game. I bet myself I could jump scare the frock off her for sure. And so I prepared myself. 


In my mind I willed all the rage and fury from within the depths of my soul. I was preparing for the pounce. However before I won the chance to see the entirety of those leggings, the witch spun a new spell and hid herself into a rectangle of smoky mist. She knew me. The shield she made had no corners but was a perfect foggy rectangle of gray pillowy clouds. I could see her face behind the misty mass (still not one I could recognize). Somehow this protective screen made her safe from my effort to jump scare. I began to doubt my confidence. Now it was fear that crept into the dream. Who was this acquaintance in the black hat? Was this witch more than a playful affliction? I may never know. The dream then evaporated and I awoke from my slumber. In the darkness of my room the witch and the bunny were gone. It was time, five am and I needed to get up. I was feeling old slightly hungover and much too jaded for any dream interpretation. I already knew I needed to go to work.

Comments

  1. This one is worth remembering (and unpacking).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maisie drives 2024 spring break trip

The brap I had been looking for

In the dreams of kissers who never kiss, I dreamt of a kiss that never happened