A detail, in the voyage


Earlier this week I was approached by VoyageMichigan Magazine for an interview. I would guess my response to be reviewed , but not all that interesting. Regardless, I did find the opportunity to contemplate it very relaxing. Bellow my words in writing:

Update 12/24/2022: The interview was published
https://voyagemichigan.com/interview/daily-inspiration-meet-scott-cain/

VoyageMichigan Magazine-

Can you briefly walk us through your story – how you started and how you got to where you are today. You can include as little or as much detail as you’d like.


Today, I am a design builder. I work with general contractors and homeowners primarily in residential construction. However my current journey began with learning to listen to one’s own intuition. This is where I found my self late spring of 2016. It was after my business partnership fell apart. An acquaintance had called me, he said he heard I was looking for work. I told him yes. He asked if I would be interested in doing a bit of drywall finishing. In my head my intellect screamed NO, but my gut said yes, and so that is what I told him. The pay he offered was abysmal, but his was my only offer, and I really wanted to stay were I was.


I tell people “design building” is my fifth career. The job I had accepted as a Drywall finisher turned into a great surprise for me. It was a massive step bellow my title as owner, and operator of Northport Brewing. And it did’t appeal to my ego the way my previous work as a product designer had. No the path from the bottom turned out to be an amazing adventure. Seven years later, I am having the time of my life building the places clients have hidden in their minds. 


Has it been a smooth road? If not, what were some of the struggles along the way?


At 45 years of age, I really questioned my sanity. I was diving into an industry known to burn out young men. The physicality of residential construction was a big growing pain. Literally I was an active and fit forty five year old, but not a hardened tradesmen. This reality became evident the first few weeks into my new life path. For some one who had just spent many years behind a desk it was for me the greatest "can I do this" question to trouble my mind and body over the first many months of my endeavor.


We’d love to learn more about your work. What do you do, what do you specialize in, what are you known for, etc. What are you most proud of? What sets you apart from others?


The excitement of creating objects and environments not common to a store shelve is what draws me out of bed in the morning, also maybe not surprisingly it is what pulses through my head as I fall asleep at night. It starts with a love of listening to clients speak of their lives and passions. Gaining their trust to visualize and build what hides in their minds is my highest calling.  By communicating design intent with images and words I set myself apart from the many highly talented people I work around.


What has been the most important lesson you’ve learned along your journey?


Years ago when I was a young newly minted industrial designer I was invited into the office of a sales executive to help them visualize a retail store fixture. As I listened to my host speak, I began to sketch my ideas for their review. Unfortunately none of them were hitting the mark. After three for four attempts, the executive asked to see my sketch pad and pen. Then before my astonished eyes the salesman sketched with skill far greater my own exactly what was in their mind. Dumbfounded I had to ask my self what on earth was I doing there if they could so clearly do my job better than I. 

There are two things I learned that afternoon. One never assume you are the expert in the room. And two, the creative process is always a team effort. Today when I am on site with my team, I encourage them to speak durning the build process. I expect some of their ideas will far exceed my own. My place on any project is always a team member, before designer or leader.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maisie drives 2024 spring break trip

The brap I had been looking for

In the dreams of kissers who never kiss, I dreamt of a kiss that never happened