Twenty Eight Sunrises

Photo credit: Scott Cain "Snow Moon Sunrise"

I decided to resurrect and remake a project called “Twenty eight days”. It was a photo journal I did fourteen years ago. I started this new project because I was not enjoying my dry January. Typically when I give up drinking in the winter months I find my creative spirit waiting for me. It was not the case this year. However I also typically start abstaining after January, so maybe it’s the month that is the problem? Either way. I am still not imbibing, because I have decided to take a “ride it until I find it” attitude. At the very least it fills the in-betweens and quiet moments. It makes for lively conversation in my head when things are bleak.

Back in 2009 I created a set of rules, and wrote an inspirational poem. The project was inspired by the painting “Icebound Ship” by, Bradford William. Twenty eight Days was a photographic exploration of February through the eyes of a Stay at Home Dad. Representing each day with a pic of the day and constrained by a strict set of ten rules. Twenty Eight Days was for no other reason an excuse to mitigate cabin fever.


The poem:

Twenty Eight Days

I dream of vacation always in the most desolate of places. January’s glimmer has gone way to a new rite of Purification though I never could consider her as dismal March it is all she has to look forward to. When frozen mud rules I like W. Ethelbert must work to survive.


For my redo project, I have again reprised an inspirational poem based on the themes of the original. Like I often do, I plugged my poem into the translate machine for creative perspective. Also I used ChatGTP to translate the original poem, which I felt was a mischievous thing to do. 


About my original poem, ChatGTP said: This poem appears to describe a longing for a vacation in desolate places, despite the harsh reality of work that must be done during the winter months. The use of "January’s glimmer" and "frozen mud" suggests a longing for escape from the bleakness of winter, and the reference to "W. Ethelbert" implies a need for resilience and determination in order to make it through. The idea of a "new rite of purification" adds a sense of renewal and hope, despite the hardships of the present.


Google translate (English to Irish, to Germans, and back to English) said: I always dream of vacations in the most remote places. January's spectrum has evolved towards a new rite of purification, although I wouldn't call her sad as she has March to look forward to. When frozen mud reigns, like W. Ethelbert, I must work to live.


From that I came up with seven inspirations for the 2023 poem, Twenty Eight Days 2023

1 Dream

2 Escape 

3 Harsh reality 

4 Purification 

5 Lonely winter blues

6 Sharing 

7 Hope


From this framework, Harsh reality, and Purification became the center point of what I wrote.


The snow moon


Gliding on edge

Across a starlit frost

Working the dark hours

To trim fat off the soul

On steel blades that skip

Across that which groans

Towards an amber light

My dim path home



In the end I want the poem to reflect my state of mind. The project as a whole, involves posting to Instagram and Ticktoc a photo or video every day for the 28 days of February. I typically post many sunrise images to social media. So the tag #28sunrise was created, and serves as a guid post for content during the duration. For twenty eight days, I look for a sunrise, regardless whether I find one or not. I’m sure it won’t help my status on either platform. But that is not what matters to me. The act of carrying out a creative series project is what I need for me.


So although "The Snow Moon" fits the seven inspirations, it still did not fit what I was doing out on my beach every morning.


Twenty Eight Sunrises


Search the dawns light

Beyond warm confines

In scrubbing wind

And frigid water 

Drown the reputation 

With anyone willing 

Together it’s a new day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maisie drives 2024 spring break trip

The brap I had been looking for

In the dreams of kissers who never kiss, I dreamt of a kiss that never happened