Travel Blog Thursday August 5th, 2022

 



Photo credit: Scott Cain "Touching the sky"


Thursday:

Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Wake at 5:45am

Awoke having slept a bit better. Not feeling so dizzy or rundown. Today was the day we had chose to memorialize David (Dad). The chatter in the kitchen as we all greeted the day was quieter than it had been. At 10am the whole lot of us piled into three cars and drove the three minutes to the gondolas at the base of the ski resort. We all laughed at how we could have walked. From our rental house nobody could see or understand how close the lift actually was.  It was only steps from the front door to our house. Obviously, no one thought ill of our short drive, and also the sun was bright so it was a cheerful looking day. 

At the top, I quietly made my rounds and asked the group to follow Mom’s lead in selecting a spot to place David’s (Dad’s) ashes. We did not walk very far. Mom was concerned about the two of our group who were having trouble walking (Brook, Nichole). Mom had chose a level path to follow that lead us just to the east of the trial markers named “Elk-head Lift Line” (a single black diamond), and “Sunny Side” (double black diamond). It was there I spotted a rocky out cropping with a spit in the middle. And I had broken my own instructions to let Mom lead. In my heart, this spot looked so perfect. It was off the busy path, and it looked less like a ski hill. The opening between the rocks had a natural gate like look to it, making it feel both private and formal. After I made a quick look the group followed and traversed the divide to find our secluded spot. It was perfect in so many ways including the fact that our entire group fit. So this was where we left a bit of David’s ashes. There were no dry eyes.

I had brought nothing to say. Only my mom and Sister Karen had planned that far ahead. In my mind, a swirl of thoughts and emotion. Had I had as much foresight as Mom and Karen I might have said:


Dave was introduced into my life when I was but a young teenager. I liked him instantly. Our introduction had felt much like putting on a very comfortable old pair of shoes. He was reassuring in his familiarity, and he quietly made me feel comfortable simply being who he was. These were the traits that earned Dad my immediate affection. Although, I am not so sure I was any good at expressing these feelings at that age. It was not until years later, when I emerged from my years of teenage selfishness that I saw just how much joy he brought to my mom. I began to see him as a the trifecta of a human who fit into our familiarity, made us feel at ease, and brought joy to our mother. Now all who loved him most were gathered together here in his honor in the beauty of this location on this beautiful day.  Our moment in solemnity to release him to the sky he so loved. Farewell friend David and Dad.


Later after a short hike and a rest at the lodge at the top of the lift we rode the gondola to the bottom. We drove back to our rental and ate lunch. After our meal, A few of us drove to town and did a bit of tourist shopping. Shirts and hats with Steamboat springs logo. Back at home 4:30pm I got back to work with Pamela preparing our taco bar dinner for 17 people. As per Pamela’s design our meal was the most elaborate, and included homemade simple syrup for the margaritas. After Dinner I went for a walk with Mom and Mark (Brooks fiancé). Back at the rental Pamela informed me that she was not physically able to go on the rafting trip in the morning. Also, she wanted me to add Colin and Avery to the already scheduled trip which Colin had already opted out of weeks earlier. I dutifully went and tried to make arrangements with Colin. In the basement Colin was involved in a rough game of Risk against his sister and cousins. He was in a fowl state. As it was his sister Maisie was threatening to win, and he was unable to communicate about the rafting trip. I was out of steam for the day, so I left the room. I was resolved that the boys would not go, and that I was going to bed by 10pm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maisie drives 2024 spring break trip

The brap I had been looking for

In the dreams of kissers who never kiss, I dreamt of a kiss that never happened