Travel Blog, Wednesday August 4th, 2022

 


Photo credit: Scott Cain "Mountain Ride"

Wednesday:

Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Awake at 5:30am

Woke up not feeling rested after trouble sleeping all night. Suspect the 2.5 drinks I served my self at dinner. Today the group is set to go horseback riding. Colin is not excited, but going because he said he would. Before our departure, I was feeling a bit dizzy and had to sit for a few minutes. Not sure if it was the coffee, the lack of sleep, last nights booze, our elevation, or something worse. However after sitting for a bit I felt a little better and we were on our way. Our journey took us to Dells Triangle Ranch.  

Thirteen of us had set out to ride. My horses name was Aspen. She was a palomino with lovely blond hair. She followed second behind the lead horse rode by our guide Samantha. She was a tailgater, with her nose almost touching the Samantha’s horse the entire two hour ride. For most of our traverse the two lead horses were a considerable distance ahead of the rest of the group, so I had much time to chat with our guide Samantha. A very tall slender young woman, she was easily six to eight inches proud of my self. She was young at 18 or 19 years of age with plans to go off to her first year of collage in two weeks. We conversed much about her love of elk hunting, and her knowledge of local biology. 

The riding excursion cost my family of 5 (Avery in tow) around $700. I tipped her $50 at the end of our rid, but suspect my gratuity was not enough. Surprisingly it did not seem that Maisie had much fun. But she might not have been feeling well, so I do not know. When I asked her how she was feeling, she said she was tired. At the end of the ride Pamela seemed in good spirits, and Colin and Avery didn’t seem to notice that they did anything special, so I guess it was mostly successful. Everyone else in the group seemed very cheerful. We departed and took a drive through the valley where we found a public lake to sit and eat our lunch.

Back at our rental house, I took a nap. It helped a little. At dinner I helped Michelle with the cooking. She was worried about over heating our non air conditioned house, and so I volunteered to cook the lasagna on the grill. Cooking lasagna on the grill seemed to alarm a few of our family members. But they were patient and watched with respect as I cooked the two casserole tins to perfection on the grill. I also kept my self from over imbibing and had only half a beer. Mostly I was still feeing very tired. 

I took time to relax after the meal and felt I could stay awake until dark. I had been planning to try my hand at night photography for months. With our vacation so soon nearing an end I despite feeling so tired needed some determination to get out and do it. After months of preparation, I took 16 images. None were viable. I went back inside feeling a bit defeated and went to bed. I our room Pamela and I laid in our separate beds in silence before falling off asleep.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maisie drives 2024 spring break trip

The brap I had been looking for

In the dreams of kissers who never kiss, I dreamt of a kiss that never happened